Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Dealing with Food Cravings

If I could just program my body to do what I’m supposed to I would be so much healthier. I follow the 80/20 rule and eat a healthy diet most of the time. It’s sometimes more challenging to get back on track after a holiday. I mostly crave the following: wine, chocolate, Guinness (or other good quality beer), hummus, nut butters, and coffee. Chocolate is probably my no. 1 craving and like most women I crave it during my PMS cycle. Scientifically speaking it’s because stress depletes the body’s reserve of magnesium and chocolate is one of the most magnesium dense foods. I do supplement with magnesium but I still want my chocolate! I also think it’s partly the caffeine especially during that 3 pm slump. A year ago, at let’s say the height of my addiction; I was consuming 3-4 TBS of raw chocolate powder a day. I would put it in smoothies or mix it like a little pudding with coconut water and some agave nectar. I was noticing how impatient I was getting and my heart would sometimes race. Now I hardly use it unless I'm really tired. Everyone is different, there are some people who can have it every day no problem. I also found it to be really dehydrating.


I love a good latte too. I find the act of going out and having a cup of coffee really relaxing. It’s cheap entertainment. You spend a few bucks and go to a café that has reading material, a nice chair and the possibility of meeting new people. Sure I could have tea but I hate spending $1.25 on tea, when I have an assortment of tea at home. So when I go out I want to have something complicated that I can’t make at home. I treat myself to a good latte of specialty drink at almost every holiday. I do enjoy Starbuck’s mochas or their Pumpkin Spice latte. It’s kinda like when I was a kid and I had to have McDonald’s Shamrock Shake on St. Patrick’s Day or the Artic Orange at the beginning of summer. There are some striking similarities to McDonald’s and Starbucks . . . but that’s another blog for another time. To me the best tasting coffee would be Peet’s and there is only one shop here in Chicago. They have more chains in the West Coast. I also love Intelligensia. On a Saturday when I feel the need to treat myself (or basically to justify a weak moment) I'll have a small decaf soy latte.


Honnestly, people don’t like people who eat healthy. Perfect eaters don’t have a lot of friends. Sinners are always more interesting than non-sinners. In nearly any movie the villain is always the most fascinating character and better dressed too. It’s a toss up for me because well I am human. I usually pay for my food sins with acid reflux, bloating, bad skin or hang-overs. What motivates me on those “good” days is vanity and longevity. I want to look good when I get old and I don’t have Sofia Loren’s genes. On the flip-side, I judge a health book by the photo the author on the back. Thumbs up to Donna Gaines who wrote The Body Ecology Diet, she is 60 and definitely doesn’t look it. She practices what she preaches. Sally Fallon, Dr. Oz, Anne-Louise Guittleman, Loren Cordain and David Wolfe are all authors who walk the walk and are very youthful looking.


I’m working on some new ideas to combat my cravings such as ingesting non-food things like good books, beautiful art, or great music. Other supportive activities might be: meditating, working out, journaling, knitting, calling a friend, or taking a nap. You can also replace a “bad” or let’s say less nutritionally dense food with one that is healthier. Instead of salty snacks from the suppermarket I like Papa Lena's beet chips. Instead of booze a bottle of Kombucha tea provides some bubbly satisfaction. Instead of a typical junky foody snack, health food stores and raw food restaurants have tons of sweet tasting food bars like Lara Bars or Go Raw! Sometimes just a banana with some cinnamon might do the trick.


One of my yoga teachers said that sugar cravings could be a sign that one might want more sweetness in their life. This could be a valid point. Of course having just a small amount of what you really want is valid too that is if you don't eat the whole bag. Savor it and enjoy it just like the French do. I usually don’t keep chocolate in the house but at work there is usually a drawer where there is chocolate. Since I’m being watched (and it’s well usually someone else’s candy) I only take a few squares instead of eating a whole bar. If I were at home I would just eat the whole thing.


At 3pm I usually have my Ayurvedic “candy” know as Chavanaprah which is dark brown and sweet like chocolate. At this time I might also have some homemade almond milk with spices like turmeric, pumpkin pie spice mix, ginger, and black pepper. I might sweeten with a tiny bit of raw honey or molasses. Like Stuart Smalley says “progress not perfection”.

No comments: