Thursday, February 21, 2008

Food Allergy and Emotions: I Suffer from Sandwich Envy

For those of you who don’t know it is tough having food allergies. I’m allergic to dairy, wheat and gluten. I really feel for kids who can’t have that yummy cupcake on their special day. Easter must be a complete nightmare. Thank God for Whole Foods and a few of the newer allergy-free businesses that are popping up.

Sometimes it’s not always the food itself but the way it’s processed. For example I can’t have white bread but I can have manna bread. I really love French Meadow Bakery’s hemp bagels and wraps. I get so excited when I pop that bagel in the work toaster. I skip all the way to the kitchen. “Look at me I am eating a bagel just like you people!!!” HA HA HA.

Dating can be hard with food allergies especially when it comes to eating out. I can’t have the typical Chicago food standby’s like hot dogs, sandwiches, pizza and “wings” (because they are covered in flour). “OMG you can’t eat what . . .” Not fitting in food-wise can actually be a deal-breaker for some people.

There have been times when I have missed out on being invited to parties because I’m the one guest “who can’t eat anything”. I usually combat this idea by bringing my own food or treats to share. Every Thanksgiving and X-mas I always bring my own bread and my pumpkin brownies which everyone loves anyways.

Lunch is probably the hardest meal which is why I brown-bag it. I work near the Sears Tower and basically I’m surrounded by sandwich shops. Downtown is sadly void of nutrient dense food. Even most commercial soups have gluten and wheat flour. I envy the convenience of just walking down to the corner and picking up any old thing. Then again when I look at my lunch compared to others I’m better off. Today I brought in a yummy soup made with finely chopped mustard greens, red lentils, brown rice, garlic, onions, spices and tahini. It was delish and totally satisfying.

As much as I whine I have to say that having food allergies has made me a better cook. It’s rare that I actually eat out or eat something that comes in a wrapper. I have become a supporter of organic whole food, farmers markets and numerous petitions freeing the raw almond! If you are what you eat, do you really want to be Aluminum Sodium Sulfate?

No comments: