Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It’s 2009 and I’m Flying

My New Year’s resolution to be a FlyLady. No, not fly as in flygirls ala the 1990’s In Living Color but FlyLady which is actually an international internet phenomenon. I tried it a few years back and dropped it because I was suffering from “Programitis” at the time. I was simply trying way too many self-improvement programs at one time and making myself crazy. So this year I’m going to do it right. To give you the 411, a woman named Marla Cilley, went through a lot of personal drama and came up with this home (and well “life”) organization program. It’s all about not being perfect and doing a little each day. She starts you out with baby steps and then gradually you build. Eventually you get little assignments each day. I like the idea of setting a timer to clean a room for 10 minutes then moving on to the next. I kind of practice this concept with my artwork. I can get myself to paint for ten minutes but if I tell myself to paint all Saturday and it better be a masterpiece, I won’t do it.

Cilley’s book Sink Reflections tells the full personal story and outlines everything in detail. The only turn-off is that she is very Christian. I go to a non-denominational church so I really don’t care but if you look at the web site forum you might find a lot of members with names like “BlessedMammaofSix”. I don’t think I’ll be BBFs with anyone on board but I love the nuts and bolts of this program.

Everyday you do this:
- Get dressed up to shoes first thing
- Keep your sink shined
- De-clutter 15 min a day
- A simple morning/evening routine (you don’t have to follow her list to a T she just provides an example)

It’s ironic that this type of planning can allow for spontaneity but it does. If I get all this shit done every day then if someone asks me for coffee I can go and not worry about my housework. I’m having trouble with getting dressed to shoes first thing since my hardwood floors are very old and creaky plus I get up at 5:30 am each morning and nose is simply amplified at that ungodly hour. That concept works better for me on the weekend when I can be a real sloth on Saturday mornings. I also love tips like cleaning the tub while you are (yes, naked) in the shower. I have to say now that my apartment is cleaner I feel less stressed out. It’s becoming a Zen Den. I’m starting to feel like one of those Anne Tainter magnets with the hyper-happy 50’s housewives.

In other news I really did have an amazing New Year’s Eve and Day. I spent it with wonderful friends and a little too much red wine. This holiday season has to rank up there as one of the best. Now that sadly, the party is over I’m easing into my no-sugar, anti-candida diet. It’s too hard to go from double fisting cookies to not consuming ketshup because it contains sugar. My plan is to go a little at a time. First I’m giving up alcohol (maybe I’ll have the occasional vodka martini but nothing with sugar) then minimizing coffee, then taking less of my rasayanas (which are ayurvedic herbal meds with raw honey) and once my tart cherry juice concentrate is used up I’ll switch to the no sugar capsule form till eventually my diet will be completely savory and sugar free. I’m going to *attempt* this for about 3-6 months. Already I see how much I crave that sweet taste. Rarely do I ever have a complete day of just savory tastes. I know the news is pretty bleak these days but I’m excited to see what 2009 will bring. I guess if you want to hear about Blagovich you’ll have to find that in someone else’s blog. ;)

No comments: