Friday, January 30, 2009

Foodie TV and Some “Healthy” Super Bowl Eats

When I’m not painting, exercising, or making food I love me some TV. I admit it! I heart TV. I’m a bit more disciplined than I used to be. I have a new rule: I will allow myself to watch something that I truly enjoy once but I don’t need to see the same episodes of Top Chef five times. I hardly watch regular network TV it’s mostly food and travel shows: Anthony Bourdain, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, Paula Dean is good for a laugh, the previously mentioned Top Chef, and Man v. Food with my TV boyfriend, Adam Richman. Adam is the perfect host, enthusiastic but not annoying. He’s warm and polite and just seems like the nicest, coolest guy ever. I wonder if he would date a Shiksa? I wouldn’t doubt that the majority of these shows have audiences filled with dieting or health-conscious women. Grrrrr, let’s watch the big boys eat. I’m kinda living vicariously through them.
Of course when I watch TV I like to eat in front of the TV too as we all do. It’s easy to fill up on junk foods and fatty dips. I came up with a recipe for a High Protein Veggie Dip. It’s basically tuna salad run through a food processor to make it more creamy.

High Protein Veggie Dip
1 can of environmentally-kosher tuna (or canned salmon works too)
A few TBS of reduced fat mayo (Trader Joe’s brand works for me)
A few TBS of mustard, whatever your preference I like Trader Joe’s garlic-mustard
Salt or your favorite seasonings, I like to add a handful of nutritional yeast flakes

Basically drain the tuna and throw the above in the food processor and hit the “food processor” button. You can add more mayo if you want it creamier. You can get creative and add some celery or nuts like in a real tuna salad. Eat it with a spoon or put it on veggies.

Now for a completely different topic, I just started taking tart cherry juice concentrate as a supplement and it is tremendous! My chiropractor, Dr. John Zrelak, turned me on to it. It’s basically a super food for joint pain. It also has natural melatonin which has anti-aging properties and aids sleep. I feel so much more rested when I take it. I’ve discovered all brands are not the same. I really like Fruit Advantage brand. In fact when I ran out I got sick recently and when I started it up again I felt great and shortly got over my cold. Having proper sleep really does boost one’s immunity! Of course the deviant part of my personality came up with a recipe for what I like to call a Medicinal Martini so here it goes . . .

Medicinal Martini
Take 2 TBS of tart cherry juice concentrate
Add some ice and maybe about 1.4 cup of water
Add 1-2 ounces of your favorite vodka
Stir it (just like James Bond) and adjust the taste as you like it—more water or ice is you want it sweeter or go with 2oz. of vodka if you like it stronger

One word of caution: do not drink this during the day. This is a good nightcap actually. Tart cherry concentrate will make you oh so sleepy so enjoy this medicinal tonic at night before bed and NOT while let's say operating heavy machinery. I don’t see why you couldn’t also try black cherry, blueberry or pomegranate concentrate as well. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Freddy said...

I tried your veggie dip for Super bowl and it was a hit. Thanks for sharing.

Also, I couldn't agree with you more regarding your cherry juice comment. Not all cherry juice is created equal. I have tried a number of different cherry juices but the Fruit Advantage tart cherry juice concentrate is my favorite. My doctor also told me about it. It works wonders with me and my partner. Here is a link for your readers www.traversebayfarms.com

PB said...

Thanks Freddy! I'm glad you liked the dip. I'll include that link too.