Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Festivals-A-Go-G0

I have been a very very bad blogger. I just got really busy at work with a special project and trying to go to all my fave festivals. I managed to hit the Whole Foods Flavor Fest which is always worth the price of admission. Talk about scoring a bunch of freebies and lots of wheat free stuff too. I was hoping Temptations ice (soy) cream was there this year but no such luck. Although this summer I have eaten my weight in probiotically enhanced frozen yogurt. I’ll include a review in another blog.

The Glenwood Park Arts Fest didn’t disappoint. I really enjoy the relaxed vibe of the creative community in Rogers Park. Lake Side CafĂ© provided some yummy vegan corn dogs (my only one all summer) and I had some good beer from Morseland. I've actually been enjoying beer this summer. I used to hate it. I have to say moderation is key. It’s so great when I can just have one or two and be set. After have one major hangover this summer I definitely learned the hard way what I can/can’t handle. It’s ironic the healthier you get the less likely you are able to handle toxins, or perhaps your body is just more aware of the affects. Being hypoglycaemic too makes it hard for me to put it away in typical Chicago binge-drinking fashion. Drinking makes me want to eat crap. My pattern is usually something like this = have a drink, start craving crappy food. Have another drink then I need protein to balance out the “wobbly”, then I have to have coffee to sort of wake myself up again. Nourishing Traditions author Sally Fallon believes that cravings for alcohol are really about our body craving fermented drinks like Kombucha Tea. I buy it every now and then when I want the taste without the hassle.

I also went to Greek Fest for the first time which was lovely. I went during the day for lunch. I think night time would probably be even more fun with the rousing music. I had a glass of Rodity’s wine. I usually don’t like Roses but this hit the spot with my Greek platter. I’ve been craving a Gyros for the least two weeks. I usually eat really clean but summer is hard for me to be completely 100%. Once fall hits I will probably do another cleanse of some sort. I enjoy the ethnic fests more than I do the A-typical fests with the same lemon shake-ups, bands and the inflatable fringed figures waving in the air.

Over the weekend I went to Jazz Fest and the summer night was perfect. I have to make one summer trip to the Buckingham Fountain. The night light show is lovely. Sunday I went to Polish Fest, another first time for me. Elevation was playing so I thought—why not? Elevation is a U2 Cover band and they are awesome. The have a way of gathering a nice crowd of people. I was watching this hilarious (“wobbly”) older man dancing with as many girls as he could by the front of the stage. Good beer here too. I tend to like the foreign beers. I’m kind of all over the place. I like the light Stella Artois as well as some of the new dark chocolate brews. I ate way too much . . . I had a stuffed cabbage plate with kraut, then I had a frozen cappuccino and beer. The music helped me dance off some of the bloat. Reminder to self: your stomach is only the size of your fist.

This is the first summer that I have been sad to see fall come. Although there are more festivals this September. Next weekend is Oktoberfest, then the Celtic Fest and I think that’s it. Next year, I will try to hit only the ones I missed or really really like. When your fun starts to feel like “a to do” list it’s no longer fun. Fall will bring a cleanse and some time to go “within” and work on my art and re-build my insides for next summer.

No comments: